you alone sacrificed EVERYTHING
that I could have everything I need.
you alone are the “something” to believe in
for you alone are my EVERYTHING.
you alone knows what it means to lose everything
as you hung on the cross crying out,
“My God, my God, why have you forsaken me?“
you alone are deserving of everything I am
for you alone are worthy of everything.
this country sets up idols on lofty thrones,
not knowing from whence comes true hope.
Oh Lord Jesus,
help me to speak into such madness and foolishness,
not to put people down but to raise them up;
not that I can boast but that You are glorified.
you are my everything.
The Pastor -|—
I’ve been reflecting on Nike’s new ad campaign that features embattled (former) NFL quarterback, Colin Kaepernick, who infamously started the “kneeing for the national anthem” movement. The campaign features a black and white close-up of his face with the words…
“Believe in something even if it means sacrificing everything“
A couple thoughts come to mind:
(1) Kaepernick has NOT sacrificed “everything”. He still sits on a nice little nest egg and is receiving national attention. The only thing he has sacrificed is playing in the NFL, and if that is “everything” then he truly has nothing.
(2) Jesus sacrificed EVERYTHING that we could have ETERNAL LIFE, which is everything we need.
(3) When you only believe in “something” you have nothing. When you believe in someone, namely Jesus, then you have everything.
(4) When you truly sacrifice “everything” for Jesus, you have lost nothing.
(5) Our brave men and women serving in the armed forces have sacrificed far more than Kaepernick will ever know.
With that being said…
I am in no way attacking what Colin Kaepernick is claiming he is protesting. I am in no way advocating some boycott of Nike like some are doing. But this believe in something/sacrificing everything crap that Nike is dishing out has rubbed me the wrong way. It has also saddened me and stirred something up in me. If people don’t get that Jesus sacrificed everything that, through faith in him, you can have eternal life, then I need to step things up more.
So here you go…
PEOPLE: You are SINNERS. You are under God’s WRATH. But wait, there is hope…JESUS. He died FOR YOU and rose from the grave FOR YOU, that you could have ETERNAL LIFE. Believe not in something, but believe in someone…JESUS.
There you go…
To God be the glory!
The Pastor -|—